|Headlines Vol. 2 Issue No. 16||Nov. 22 - Dec. 6, 2003|
4000 flee to Meghalaya
MORE than 4000 persons, mainly Khasis and Pnars, have taken shelter in Meghalaya following threats from militants. The Meghalaya Government said that it had been negotiating with successive Assam governments for retransfer of the two troubled two blocks in Karbi Anglong district to it as a majority of the population there were Pnars.
According to the Additional Deputy Commissioner of Jaintia Hills district, Jyrwa 4241 Khasis and Pnars who had fled Karbi Anglong, had been sheltered in camps. The administration was providing them relief. An official release said that Meghalaya had been consistently negotiating with Assam for the two blocks to Meghalaya’s Jaintia Hills and Ri-Bhoi districts.
It said till that happened Block I and Block II in neighbouring Karbi Anglong continued to remain a part of Assam and the Meghalaya government did not have any ‘constitutional responsibility’ in the area. The blocks, it said, had been transfered to the then United Mikir and North Cachar Hills District of Assam vide an official notification in April 12, 1951.
Denying the charge that the Lapang Government in the State had failed to tackle the situation, Meghalaya Government claimed that the Chief Minister, the Home Minister, the Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police were in constant touch with their Assam counterparts over the influx from Karbi Anglong to Meghalaya and monitoring the situation.
Your Visit No
Since April 20, 2000